Each year, HMRC release a list of the worst excuses they’ve received for people not filing their Self Assessments on time. They also list some of the most bizarre expense claims that they’ve been given.
They’ve just released their list for the 2017/2018 financial year and there are some classics, for sure.
Worst excuses for not filing on time
- Someone said they missed the deadline because – wait for it – their mother-in-law is a witch who put a curse on them…
- One junior member of staff supposedly registered the wrong client for Self Assessment because they weren’t wearing their glasses
- Someone else was apparently far too short to reach the post box
- One couldn’t file his return because his boiler was broken and his fingers were too cold to type…
- And another one was just “too busy” (they explained further that their first maid left, their second maid stole from them, and their third maid was slow to learn)
Most bizarre expense claims
- A carpenter tried to claim £900 for a TV and a soundbar to “help him price up his jobs”. Sure!
- Someone claimed £756 for insurance for their pet dog
- Another claimed for a music subscription so they can listen to music at work
- Someone else tried to claim £40 for extra woolly underwear (not just once, but for five years)
- And someone even tried to claim for… a family holiday to Nigeria
HMRC point out that all the above excuses and expense claims were denied. Fair enough.
We wrote a blog post a few years ago about how you can avoid missing the 31st January tax return deadline. It’s probably a good idea to follow our advice rather than trying some of these excuses…
If you’re struggling with cash flow problems, we may be able to help – have a look at our business loans page to learn more.